Thursday 22 May 2014

Cyanotypes

This week I produced a cyanotype in the studio.




To do this, I started with an equal mix of quantities of ferric ammonium citrate and potassium ferricyanide (both dissolved in distilled water). Once the developer was ready, I brushed an equal and thin amount onto the paper (if this is applied to thick then the whole print will wash off when you come to rinse it).

Placing the paper in a dryer for 5 minutes. Once it was dry to the touch I began the creative process. In my image (above) I placed buttercups in a row. Once the image was ready to develop, it was placed in a safe plastic box and place a sheet of glass over the paper. Ultra violet tubes were placed over the image (at a distance) for about 5 minutes.

Next, when the timer stopped, I immediately removed the light (to stop any over exposure) and rinsed the paper in cold water. Then, rinsing the image through a watered down peroxide for a few seconds (this enhances the blue on the image). Finally, I rinsed the image with water for 5 minutes then placed in a dryer to dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment