Wednesday 7 May 2014

Chosen Theme/Outline Proposal

The Photo Documentary - Telling Stories Through Photographs


For my final piece of work, I intend to create a photo documentary that raises the issue of certain anxiety disorders, causing sufferers to spend time worrying about their appearance and how this can have a profound impact on their life. The content will be a personal story of a young woman's life and how she have lived with this anxiety. It will be presented as a slide show combined with her voice as the narrative. This will be accompanied with a written photo essay. 

My aim is for the documentary to increase awareness of these 'cloaked' illnesses that are all too often swept under the carpet, due to fear of being looked upon as 'self obsessed'. To also raise the question, is this an illness that we should all be more aware of? I hope that this might urge people whom are going through the same or similar issues to go and seek help of their own.  

The largest part of research studied for this assignment will be how a photographer tells a story through their images. I plan to look at a selection of photojournalists, to learn if it is the surroundings that their subject is placed that has the impact, or, if it is the way the image is composed that really brings to light the issue of who they are photographing. I plan to research books on photo journalism to reveal the techniques that other photographers use. 

My research will invesigate how photographer Jim Mortram, who documents sensitive issues, carries out his projects and how he interacts with the subject. What drives him and how his passion for the story shines through his images. 

I will explore how emotion is portrayed in self portraiture, how documenting a personal topic differentiates from telling someone else's story. 

Investigating how words can influence a person's interpretation of an image will be the final area of study.

I will explore books, magazine and internet articles. Highlighting key areas that I feel are relevant to my area of study. Managing the time I have to plan and deliver the essay will be documented through my personal diary.

The assignment will be split into 3 sections. The introduction - an explanation of the purpose of this assignment. The second section - an analysis of the research collected. The final section will conclude with how I feel this research will influence my images. 

No comments:

Post a Comment