Wednesday 18 September 2013

Unit 1 Digital - Photography


Self Portraits

I was asked to take two self portraits, one that features myself and one using only objects that creates an image of the person I am. 

The first image is of myself and my daughter, Ellie. This was taken on my laptop using Cyberlink YouCam. I used the timer as my aim was to take a natural shot of us both together, that gave the impression somebody else was behind the camera. 

The image was originally taken in colour, but because of light and camera quality, it did not look very clear. I used Fotor (an app on windows 8) and Windows Live Photo Gallery to edit the image making it clearer. I decided to changed the colour to black and white as not only did it improve the image quality but also changed the mood of the photo dramatically. 



Self Portrait 1 




I chose this as a self portrait as I think it shows the bond between my daughter and I. We are both unaware of anything else going on around us (including the camera), in our own little world, having some precious quiet time together, which I believe is becoming increasingly difficult for any parent in the fast paced world we live in today.


The second image I took using my iPhone. I was asked to use a series of personal objects that best describes me as a person.  After much thought, I decided to use one element that has had a big impact on my life recently. 



Self Portrait 2



I started running about 8 months ago, initially to raise money for charity, but caught what is commonly known as 'the running bug'. I believe that running strongly contributes to overall health in so many ways, mentally as well as physically. The path in the background is also connected to the image. To the person that is viewing the image, I am trying to raise the question, does the path symbolise where she has come from, or what is leading to the future?




1 comment:

  1. his will be very useful as evidence for the course. The fact that you mention two methods of capturing images, then talk about specific methods of altering the images, fits the learning outcomes for the Art and Design unit perfectly.

    Your use of the frame in both is good ad your concepts behind the images work well. Can you add a Unit 1 Photography label to it as well please?

    ReplyDelete