Sunday 3 November 2013

Studying HE Access L3 Photography


Reasons for studying L3 Photography

My career has always been focused around customer service and PA/Reception roles. After having my daughter I decided I wanted a change in career but wasn't sure what I wanted to do. When attending a mother and baby group with my daughter and speaking with the other women there, I had what can only be described as a 'light bulb' moment. I realised that in my lounge alone there are about 27 framed photographs. I have always enjoyed taking photographs, I think they are important in capturing a moment in time and preserving memories. 

Initially I started the course with the view of going straight into work after the course ends. Two months in and I have decided I would like to further my education and complete the foundation degree. I am hoping when I am more confident in the technical side of photography to apply for work experience to expand my skill set.  

Influences

One afternoon I was reading a newspaper and came across an article about a woman called Vivian Maier. At the time I wasn't sure what area of photography I wanted to go into, just that I enjoyed taking pictures and wanted to develop this further. I was completely captivated by Maier's story and amazed by her photographs. After that I started looking into other Street photographers and their work. I'm not sure at this point Street Photography is something I would like to pursue as a career, but it is a skill I would like to develop and incorporate some of the ideas of street photography into other lines of work.



Self Evaluation

At this moment I am fully aware my technical skills in photography need improvement. Camera control is one of the areas I need to put more time into so I can make the most of its features. I have a good understanding of the Art and Design unit, but this can always be improved. 



Future Projects

The next project I am starting to plan is to produce a book of images of my daughter. My aim is to give these books as Christmas presents to the family. I am hoping it will be a cost effective, creative and unique present, something different from the usual framed photograph. I plan to use the college studio, bringing props such as my daughters favorite toys, balloons, books etc. I am currently looking at a website called blurb (www.blurb.co.uk) to print the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment